We haven't made much progress this week, as we've been preparing for a Business Continuity Test that's happening tonight, but we're ready for it, and have a few hours free before the test starts, so it's time to hit the Build Space! Hit Back after viewing an image.
Here are our customary To Do Lists, and as you can see, there's quite a lot to do! Hopefully we can check a few things off today. We're going to tackle some of the jobs that were holding us up with the drill press out of commission.
But now we're back in business! We went through a number of different size and lengths in V-belts trying to find one that worked, and ended up with a 3L330, which is a little big, but works, so we're going to run with it.
Starting out today with the rebuild of Didactic Duelist and we've piled on all the parts, coming out at 2lb 12.6 ounces, so we're well underweight, and can get on with assembly.
First up for the repaired drill press are the aluminium side walls for the Beetle, and it doesn't take too long to drill them out.
Some time later, after a lot of tapping and a couple of episodes of The Invisible Man, we have all the chassis parts tapped, so moving on ...
Lauren popped over, and spent some time working on her antweight Malicious Mule, including a turn with Milly, cutting slots on her chassis parts.
Here we're drilling the mount holes for the weapon motor, using the old mount as a template. That worked quite well.
So we put the parts down in the Paint Shack, and liberally applied the Radicus Purple to the Beetle's frame pieces.
While those parts were drying, we turned our attention to the drum for Nihilistic Naysayer 2.0 and drilled out the mounting holes for the end caps.
A bit of tapping later and we had the weapon pulley mounted to one end cap, and the end caps ready to be mounted, but before we could do that ...
... We needed to mount the teeth!Truthfully it's been a good long while since we worked with tool steel, and drilling the holes in the teeth took quite a lot of time, pressure, cutting fluid, and drill bits, but eventually we were done!
Et viola! The completed drum, ready for installation into the 'bot.
Which was quick and easy, so there we are - after all this time, we've almost finished the rebuild of the drum-bot.
A quick sanity check, to make sure we weren't going to encounter the "Three-Eighths Issue" we had with version one: the teeth do, in fact, clear the chassis, which is a plus :-) And that's where we're going to leave it for today, as we need to go make some dinner and get to the office for the Business Continuity Test. More next week!